Thursday, February 12, 2009

Layout Change, Other Stuff Marginally Worth Discussing

So I just thought I'd check in real quick with those four people that actually keep up with the goings on of this blog (a number which includes me), and for those who might stumble upon it via my main site, In Review Online. Basically, as the little bio to the right suggests, I intend to use this blog as a forum in which to post my work for various outlets (mostly InRO). That includes film reviews, music reviews, and some commentary regarding both mediums. As well as random shit (like that post on Ryan Gosling's new band) if I so choose. (Note: I can change this guideline later if I desire, so if you see some stuff on here that doesn't fall into these categories, deal with it.) I'll also try, but will not commit, to posting a recap of my week on this blog, every Wednesday or so. We'll see.

First thing worth a mention is that I started a new writing gig for the burgeoning website Blog Critics (.org), as one of their contributing writers. So far I've submitted about 6 or so film/music reviews for publishing (most are up now). They're deal, basically, is that I can post stuff I submit to them in other areas (like here or on InRO) as long as they get it first-- which, consequently, is why my review of Laurent Cantet's "The Class" has been delayed longer than I expected it would be (it should show up here and on InRO in the next couple days). More than anything, BC will serve as yet another outlet in which to get my writing out there, and to promote InRO (my name links back to the site, which is pretty awesome exposure).

Same goes for this other proposition I've been offered. Well, I guess it's more like an affiliation. The social networking site MoovieLive has offered to feature select reviews off InRO as "Editorial Reviews" (so alongside Amazon and other big names like that, which is pretty swell). I only just got the email about that yesterday though, so it's all still in the planning stages; I'll keep you posted on its progression.

I'd also like to point out (as it is oh so important) that InRO now has a Twitter page, and that myself and InRO Music Editor Jordan Cronk have been tweeting (term?) up a storm about all sorts of things. I've also added a Twitter feed to the InRO homepage, and will probably do the same with this blog relatively soon. I encourage anyone who uses Twitter to please "follow" us (you'll know what that means), as perhaps someday one of us may say something marginally witty or topical, and you definitely don't want to miss that.

Lastly, I'd just like to talk up Counter Clash, my upcoming project with former AIR-ONLINE Editor Ivan DeWilde. Counter Clash is to be a site that critiques, in a sort of tongue-in-cheek manner, various forms of "counter culture" (anime, games, manga, cult films, comics, other websites, etc). Some of the other InRO staffers may get involved with this project too, which will basically fuel our collective tendencies toward odd hobbies and interests we don't usually brag about. It may be a total catastrophe of an idea or it may end up being a lot of fun, who the hell knows. Just know that, either way, Counter Clash is coming! (probably late April)

Oh, and I changed the layout of this blog. Look better? Good, then you know the reason.

That's all for now. I'll check in again next week some time, if you care; and if not, why did you just read this?


Reviews for the week of Wed. the 4th to the 11th of February:


Music Review: Animal Collective - Merri... [links: VHPW, BC]
Music Review: Asobi Seksu - Hush (2009) [links: VHPW, BC]
Music Review: Asobi Seksu - Citrus (2006) [links: VHPW, BC]
Film Review: Hotel For Dogs (2009) [links: InRO, BC]
Film Review: Beau Travail (2000) [links: BC]


- Sam C. Mac


No comments: